Wooden Spoon Carving Workshop
Sunday 20th September 2020| 10am – 4.15pm
Enjoy a unique and satisfying experience learning to craft your own wooden spoon in the beautiful surroundings of Hanwell Wine Estate. Martin your tutor will share with you his years of carving experience and knowledge of tools and materials to use. You will learn a range of cutting and carving techniques using an axe, knife and how to hollow the spoon safely and efficiently.
By the end of the day you will have made a simple spoon of your own and mastered the basic skills sufficiently to be able to practice on your own.
Summary of workshop content : Spoon design, carving techniques, surface treatment and finishing, tool selection and usage and health and safety of when using craft tools.
This workshop is suitable for both complete novices and people with experience of working with wood. All materials and tools are provided along with refreshments throughout the day and a two-course homemade lunch served with a glass of wine.
How we will manage this event:
- The Rural Antics Craft Barn is a large well ventilated space (100 square metres), whenever possible and in good weather, we also have the option to hold workshops outside.
- There will be no more than 10 people at any workshop.
- Workshops participants will be allocated their own workstation, easily maintaining a 2 metre gap between.
- Before and after each workshop all surfaces, door handles and utensils will, as always, be thoroughly cleaned.
- Handwashing facilities are available in the craft barn and toilets, with hot running water, soap and paper towels.
- Participants will be given their own craft kit, tools and materials to use to avoid any unnecessary sharing wherever possible.
- Refreshments will be served to the customers’ work station throughout.
- Your lunch will be a plated 2 course meal and served at your work station or taken outside.
- Your tutor will make every effort to maintain a 1 to 2 metre distance from you whilst guiding you through the process of making. In the event they need to enter your workspace you will be asked to step back.
To see our full Covid 19 policy please click here.
Outline of the day
10:00 | Welcome with light refreshments
10:15 | Introduction to tools and health and safety; get hands on with your tools
11.15 | Refreshment break
12:30 | Lunch break – 2 course homemade lunch with a glass of local wine
13:15 | Continue with your carving
15:00| Refreshments with a snack
15:45 | Review of day
16:15| Leave with your beautiful wooden spoon!
Martin Rollins is an expert in teaching bush craft skills. He was formerly Head of Outdoor Education for Lincolnshire’s Teaching and Learning Centres. He now owns and manages his own outdoor-focused business.
This workshop is a relaxing opportunity to get away from it all and do something different in the beautiful country side.
“Making something like this, something simple yet challenging, practical yet pleasing, feels good for the soul”
Pay in full or 50% deposit
You can pay in full or just a 50% deposit. (Deposit is refundable up to 6 weeks prior to the workshop date) add code ‘50%deposit’ in the ‘coupon box’ at checkout. You will be contacted 8 weeks prior to the workshop date to pay the remaining balance, if the balance is not paid by 6 weeks prior then your place will be automatically cancelled and your deposit is non-refundable.
To ensure the quality of your personal experience, group size will be limited to 10.
(Please note: a minimum number of 4 bookings is required in order for the session to go ahead)
Suitable for children aged 17 years and over must be accompanied by a paying adult.
For more information about this event or other Rural Antics workshops, contact Hanwell Wine Estate, email@example.com or 01949 81393
For frequently asked questions about our workshops visit our FAQ page – click here
Giving as a Gift?
If you would like to buy this as a gift for someone, please ensure when you place your order add in the comments box -‘gift voucher with the recipients name’. We will then email you a home-print voucher with a description of the workshop and date. Gift vouchers are fully flexible and if your recipient is not available or does not want to do this workshop we will happily move them to another date or different workshop of the same or lower price.