Wine Host (permanent, part-time mostly weekends) – Closes 28th Feb 2019
Winter Pruning Vineyard Assistant (temporary part-time) – CLOSED
Assistant Winemaker and Vineyard Manager (permanent, full time) – Closing date 15th Feb 2019
More details below…
Assistant Winemaker and Vineyard Manager
Grape growing is the biggest growth sector in UK Agriculture. The UK industry is projected to be worth more than £1 Billion by 2040 and expected to employ 24,000 people. In the East Midlands, the Skuriat family have been growing grapes since 1976, this job offers a unique opportunity to learn from one of the founding fathers of English Wine in the East Midlands within a growing family business.
International Award winning Eglantine Vineyard, est. 1979 benefits from a winery supporting vineyards in the Region, this includes “daughter” vineyard Hanwell Wine Estate. Hanwell, est. 2012 grows the champagne varieties for English Sparkling Wine.
- Hanwell Wine Estate
South Nottinghamshire (10 mins apart)
- Eglantine Vineyard (winery & vineyard), Nottinghamshire LE12 6UX
- Hanwell Wine Estate (vineyard), Nottinghamshire LE14 3QG
- Ideally a bachelor’s degree in viticulture and oenology, or previous winery and vineyard experience
- A developed sense of smell and taste, as well as knowledge of grape varieties
- Or previous winery experience in a premium winemaking environment, and a commitment to growing quality
- Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process and understand winemaking regulatory requirements. All aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work, and winemaking analysis is preferred.
- Must possess excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, fluent in English, both verbal and written;
- Able to drive tractor with implements attached: forklift, sprayer, trimmer, harrow, mower, etc.
- Ability to handle cash sales.
- Clean driving license.
- Able to demonstrate high standards of customer service.
- Diligent, good at following instructions and exceptional cleanliness
- problem solving skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Able to work alone, in the winery or vineyards
- Available to work a varied schedule especially during harvest season as needed.
- Excellent maths and accuracy with numbers and strong recordkeeping skills along with a working knowledge of data collection and data analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Own transport essential
- Living locally, temporary on-vineyard accommodation (single room) may be possible whilst relocating.
- Team worker.
- Forklift license.
- Ability to use sprayer under supervision.
Roughly 50% winery and 50% vineyard, split between Hanwell Wine Estate and Eglantine Vineyard.
In the winery
- day to day cellar operations, including harvest, harvest record keeping, bulk wine, bottling preparation, sanitation, and cellar organization and cleanliness.
- Provide winemaking technical support to the Winemaker.
- Supervise grape receiving, crushing, pressing and wine production operations during harvest.
- Participate in wine tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking process and bottling.
- Write work orders for all production related tasks from harvest to bottling.
- Be familiar with up to date regulations.
- Talk at wine tastings and tours.
- conduct bulk and bottled wine inventories.
- Assist with enforcing quality and execution of work performed, review and implementation of standards of care, safety, and operating procedures.
- Safety training and management of compliance issues in the cellar to provide a safe work place.
- Some budgetary planning for seasonal projects, harvest activities, staffing, ordering of supplies.
- Maintain wine and job quality goals while managing for good productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Be available for weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers.
In the vineyard
To keep the vineyard productive and both estates in order. Typical tasks include: pruning, tying down, canopy management, weed control, pest deterrence and fungal control, wind break care, hedge maintenance, mowing, wildlife habitat care, fence maintenance, grape picking, assisting vineyard visitors and other vineyard estate care tasks.
- Pay according to qualifications and experience.
- Statutory holiday entitlement.
- Training will be given to strong candidates that are missing one or two skills as necessary.
- Staff discount
- Full time permanent position subject to completion of a probationary period.
- Weekly hours between 30—40 depending on candidate and season.
Send CV with covering introduction to email@example.com by 15th February 2019 for a start date on Monday 1st April 2019 or soon after. Invitations for interview will be issued second half of February.
Wine Host (permanent, part-time)
A great opportunity for an independent, confident person who is interested in the English Wine industry to learn about consumers and English Wine! We at Hanwell Wine are keen to engage with the local community, not everyone will come to us, so the wine trailer, called Clarabel, will go to them at farmer’s markets, festivals and shows.
This is a part time permanent job working mostly off-site at markets and shows during weekends, occasional evenings and bank holidays. Average 4 events per month.
Hours based on when the markets and shows are held and includes long days.
- WSET Level 2 or higher or equivalent wine experience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Personable, approachable and wearing a smile.
- Confident with money, basic maths.
- Well presented and professional.
- Ability to tow a trailer is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Alcohol licensing rules and obligations an advantage although training will be given.
- Aged over 18 so that they can take Personal License delegate responsibility.
- Always on time.
- Computer skills including excel for pre and post reporting.
- Managing the Clarabel (Wine Trailer) bookings diary
- Ensuring all external bookings are licensed or a temporary license is applied for in time.
- Preparing Clarabel in advance, cleaning, stock availability, equipment on board, marketing materials, tasting glasses and liaising with others on start/end times.
- Completing a pre-event risk assessment
- Setting up and breaking down pre and post event
- Money management, organising float, credit card machine, end of day report,
- Event debrief, approx. customer through-put
- Liaising with the event organiser on Clarabel position, alcohol license, set up and clear down times and procedure
- Wine tasting and sales at offsite events and occasionally at Hanwell
- Checking stock levels of Clarabel sundries and stationery etc.
- Providing first-class customer service
- Ad-hoc admin work
- Online wine sales packing and organising shipping
- Vineyard labour ad hoc
- Welcoming customers
- General event support
- Pay according to qualifications and experience.
- Statutory holiday entitlement
- Staff discount
Send email with introduction and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28th February for start 1st April 2019.